11/2019 - present: Co-Pi of the project "Studying a concept in disarray: Cross-cultural, comparative analysis of digital privacy". Funded by the Minerva Foundation.
04/2019 - present: Researcher (Post-Doc) at the Department of Communication of the Johannes Gutenberg-University Mainz.
09/2018 - 03/2019: Visiting scholar in the Department of Communication at the Cornell University (Ithaca, NY).
08/2018: Ph.D in the social sciences at the University of Hohenheim, thesis: "Situational Privacy and Self-Disclosure: Communication Processes in Online Environments".
2014 - 2017: Research assistant in the project "Privatheit im Wandel [Privacy in Change]" funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
03/2013 - 03/2019: Research assistant (Ph.D student and Post-Doc) at the Department of Media Psychology at the School of Communication of the University of Hohenheim (Stuttgart).
12/2012: Graduation as M.A at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, thesis: "The interplay of intrinsic need satisfaction and Facebook specific motives in explaining addictive behavior on Facebook".
09/2010 - 09/2012: Editorial assistant at the ZDF in Mainz.
2010: Project assistant at PRIME research in Mainz
08/2009 - 03/2010: Exchange student at the Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia.
03/2007 - 12/2012: Studied communication science, economic sciences, and philosophy at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
For more information, see: www.philippmasur.de
- Privacy and self-disclosure processes in online environments
- Media and online privacy literacy
- Social norm perceptions and social norm effects in social media
- Online communication and well-being
- Alternative data collection (tracking, experience sampling) and data analysis methods (multilevel analysis, structural equation modeling, Bayesian statistics)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Publizistik und Kommunikationswissenschaft (DGPuK)
- International Communication Association
- Member of the editorial boards of the journals "Media Psychology" and "Mobile Media & Communication"
- Editorial assistant for the journal "Media Psychology" (2017 - 2018)
- Ad-hoc reviewer for national and international journals: Journal of Communication, Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Psychological Science, Perspectives on Psychological Science, Media Psychology, New Media & Society, Communication Methods and Measures, Social Media + Society, Mobile Media & Communication, International Journal of Communication, Computers in Human Behavior, CyberPsychology, Behavior and Social Networking, Studies in Communication | Media, The Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied, Behavior & Information Technology, Information, Communication & Society, Telematics and Informatics.
- Ad-hoc reviewer for national und international conferences (International Communication Association, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Publizistik und Kommunikationswissenschaft).
- 2020: Top Paper Award of the division "Communication and Technology" at the 70th annual conferences of the International Communication Association in Gold Coast, Australia (with Dominic DiFranzo and Natalie N. Bazarova)
- 2019: Top Paper Award of the division "Communication and Technology" at the 69th annual conferences of the International Communication Association in Washington D.C., USA (with Sabine Trepte)
- 2019: Travel Grant by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- 2018: Young Scholars Award at the Amsterdam Privacy Conference (with Doris Teutsch and Sabine Trepte)
- 2015: Research Grant for the Dissertational Project funded by the German Society of Online Research
- 2014: Top Student Paper Award of the division "Communication and Technology" at the 64th annual conferences of the International Communication Association in Seattle, USA
- 2014: Travel Grant by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)